According to AOPA, their mission and function is to,
"Protect your freedom to fly by…
- advocating on behalf of our members,
- educating pilots, nonpilots, and policy makers alike,
- supporting activities that ensure the long-term health of General Aviation,
- fighting to keep General Aviation accessible to all, and
- securing sufficient resources to ensure our success.
AOPA provides all kinds of other services, from flight planning, to legal assistance, to medical services. They also give GA pilots a voice in Washington DC in the form of lobbyists. AOPA is probably one of if not the most influential organizations for GA rights and information.
"The mission of the Air Line Pilots Association is to promote and champion all aspects of aviation safety throughout all segments of the aviation community; to represent, in both specific and general respects, the collective interests of all pilots in commercial aviation; to assist in collective bargaining activities on behalf of all pilots represented by the Association; to promote the health and welfare of the members of the Association before all governmental agencies; to be a strong, forceful advocate of the airline piloting profession, through all forms of media, and with the public at large; and to be the ultimate guardian and defender of the rights and privileges of the professional pilots who are members of the Association." (ALPA, 1992)
ALPA is the union that advocates for pilot's rights in the airline industry, from working hours, to working conditions, safety, even when a pilot is violated by the FAA. They also are a strong lobby group when it comes to dealing with the FAA.
It's important to belong to both of these organizations for several reasons. As a commercial airline pilot, ALPA exists to defend my rights as a pilot, ensure that working conditions are satisfactory and safe, and ensure pay is fair. As far as AOPA, I plan on always being involved in the GA community, so an organization that protects that community's rights would be an important one to belong to. Also, the vast majority of commercial pilots come through the GA community on their way to the airlines, so it's important to preserve that community to allow for continuity in the supply of pilots to the aviation community.
References:
AOPA's Mission, Vision and Values. (n.d.). Retrieved from
https://www.aopa.org/about/mission-vision-and-values
About ALPA - What We Do. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.alpa.org/about-alpa/what-we-do
I also think that ALPA is an absolute must for Airline pilots. I like that you pointed out that they make sure work environments and hours are safe and satisfactory. To me this is huge because there aren't any other organizations that due this.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both you and Jason, I think that ALPA is a necessity for airline pilots. Not only do they ensure safe environments for employees, but they fight for employee rights when it comes to contract negotiations as well.
ReplyDeleteALPA is actually one of the organizations that I forgot about while writing my own post, and I don't know how I didn't think of it. You're right, it's huge and it's pretty much a necessity if you're an airline pilot. Should I end up going down the airline route, I will definitely have to join ALPA. ALPA has played a huge role in many of the recent FAA rule changes, especially regarding pilot working hours and rest periods. Good post.
ReplyDeleteI feel AOPA is probably the most important organization for everybody to be part of. They are looking out for all pilot from General Aviation to Airline Pilots. They work to keep aviation accessible to all.
ReplyDelete